Re: List of changes in Linux 2.4 (Wonderful World of Linux 2.4)

From: Steve Dodd (steved@loth.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 07:20:07 EST

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 07:23:06PM -0400, Joe Pranevich wrote:

[ugh, no line wrapping -- reformatted]

> I'm compiling a list of new features to Linux 2.4 in my "Wonderful World of
> Linux 2.4" document. You may recall a similar document for the Linux 2.2
> release. We're winding down now on the development cycle and I'm winding
> down now on writing the article so I guess that it's about time I sent this
> you you all (the kernel developers) to take a look at and give me an expert
> opinion, let me know what I'm missing, insult my writing style, etc.

Can I insult your mail software instead? ;-)

The only points that sprang to mind were:

- the shmfs. People have been muttering about changing this so the filesystem
  does not have to be explicitly mounted; I'm not sure if this is supposed to
  land before 2.4 or not. If it is, then maybe you should drop the bit about
  having to mount it so it doesn't scare people.

- devfs. The talk about device names changing will scare people. I know you
  do mention at the beginning that it's optional, but many people don't read
  things very thoroughly (me included). Perhaps you could stress the fact a
  bit? Also, it is marked as experimental, which should be mentioned.

- IPv6. It's not new, but it might be worth mentioning that it's still there.
  I don't know what changes have been made to IPv6 support during 2.3, though.

--
"Apathy is not the problem, it's the solution"