Re: List of changes in Linux 2.4 (Wonderful World of Linux 2.4)

From: Nicholas Dronen (ndronen@frii.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 19:16:12 EST

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 01:20:07PM +0100, Steve Dodd wrote:

> The only points that sprang to mind were:
>
> - the shmfs. People have been muttering about changing this so the filesystem
> does not have to be explicitly mounted; I'm not sure if this is supposed to
> land before 2.4 or not. If it is, then maybe you should drop the bit about
> having to mount it so it doesn't scare people.

I recall reading some posts from last year about modularizing
ipc/*, but the project seemed to wither away. Would a modularized
SysV IPC facility allow shmfs not to require an explicit mount request
from userspace (say, a shmget would cause kmod to load shm.o, which
in turn would automatically mount shmfs)?

| When you really look for me, you will see me instantly -- |
| you will find me in the tiniest house of time. |
| - Kabir |