devfs - why not ?

From: Robert Kaiser (rob@rob.devdep.sysgo.de)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 03:09:22 EST

Hi all,

I have read Richard Gooch's webpage on devfs and it looks like a
brilliant idea to me. Now, I understand that Richard had to fight
a long struggle getting devfs into the kernel and even now that it
finally goes in, it does so in an (IMHO) somewhat crippled form
(mounting it under /devfs instead of /dev) and there still seem to
be many people opposed to devfs.
So, I know the pro side of devfs, but I would like to read up on
the objections raised so I can make a judgement for myself.

I guess this has been widely discussed on this list but that must
have been before I joined, so I would be glad if someone could point
me to some archive that has the relevant thread(s).

Thanks in advance

Rob