Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Justin Hahn (jehahn@IMSIP1.BU.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 18:53:37 EST

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Ricky Beam wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > Now if there were only a CLEAN solution to the non-volatile
> >attributes problem. Set permissions and ownership of a device. Device
>
> If you define "clean solution" as '/usr/bin/vi'... either alter the
> settings in the source or reset them everytime it's loaded.

How hard is setting up devfsd?? The man page explains it in perfect detail.
It's cleaner than tarring up /dev, and it's persistent. Ideally it would
record changes you make with chown and chmod in a database, but you could
probably instrument that yourself (simply hook the change event to call a
script which writes the perms in a coherent way, and then optional_include that
at the top of devfsd.conf)

Quite frankly, I thought this argument had died out ages ago.

--jeh