nfs: task 37637 can't get a request slot

From: Bernard Dautrevaux (Dautrevaux@microprocess.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 12:40:50 EST

Hello,

First, could you CC me of any answer; I'm not on the list. Thanks.

        I'm trying to install an SMP Linux box on a dual PIII/Xeon-550MHz
(Intel C440GX+ board), and I get a bunch of problems; the machine runs
perfectly for about 24 hours (and it's incredible how fast it compiles :-)),
then freezes ?-(.

As long as you are not accessing an NFS mounted file system all is working
perfectly, but as soon as you try to access one, you're dead :-(

As long as it is working I get occasional complaints like these:
        svc: unknown program 100227 (me 100003)
        svc: unknown version (3)
however I also get these messages in single processor mode.

I was using kernel 2.2.12-5 from RedHat-6.0, then 2.2.12-32 from RedHat-6.1
in uniprocessor mode, then switched to 2.2.12-32smp and now kernel
2.2.14-8smp (as provided by Ed Schlunder on
http://www.ajusd.org/~edward/silkhat-6.1/i386/kernel-smp-2.2.14-8.i686.rpm)
on my RedHat-6.1 install. I get 'svc:' messages on all configs and crashes
on all SMP kernels.

When freezed you from time to time I see the following message on the system
console:
        nfs: task 37637 can't get a request slot
where the task number may change from message to message (I've seen at least
37638 and 37639)

At this point the CPU is idle (top reports 1 running process and 99.8% idle
CPU, with about 60Mb free memory out of a total 1Gb and no swap at all; swap
is not even configured).

Note that all these messages are related to NFS accesses to filesystems
exported from a Solaris-2.6/PC system (running on an dual PII-450 SMP
platform).

I'm looking for any clue or workaround that allow me not to display my
second CPU on a frame on the wall above my desk :-)

Thanks by advance,

        Bernard

PS: Please CC. me as I'm not subscribed on the list. Thanks.

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingéniérie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE