Re: nfs: task 37637 can't get a request slot

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 15:05:41 EST

> As long as it is working I get occasional complaints like
> these:
> svc: unknown program 100227 (me 100003) svc: unknown version
> (3)
> however I also get these messages in single processor mode.

This is a completely harmless message. It is triggered by Solaris
clients trying to test for their proprietary ACL code.

> When freezed you from time to time I see the following message
> on the system console:
> nfs: task 37637 can't get a request slot
> where the task number may change from message to message (I've
> seen at least 37638 and 37639)

This just means that the RPC layer is congested for some reason:
Either the network is too slow, and some requests are timing out
because they can't get shovelled out in time, or you have noise
causing blockage.

Use tcpdump on both client and server in order to determine whether or
not the client is sending out requests, and whether the server is
replying to them (each and every request should normally be receiving
a reply if all is well).

Cheers,
  Trond