Re: Overcommitable memory??

From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen (rask-linux@kampsax.k-net.dk)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 13:16:16 EST

Den 16-Mar-00 20:18:09 skrev David Whysong fĝlgende om "Re: Overcommitable memory??":
> On 15 Mar 2000, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
>>Den 14-Mar-00 18:32:49 Rik van Riel wrote:
>>> On 13 Mar 2000, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:

>>> Not really. Without overcommit you may still have random program
>>> crashes and lost work...
>>
>> Yes, really. Maybe I should have said "additional lost work" instead
>>of just "lost work". Without overcommit, program crashes will only
>>happen due software bugs or hardware problems.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Not true. With no overcommit, you can still crash programs due to OOM
> situations.

   Sure, not all programs are bug free. But that's a whole lot different
from having the kernel kill processes just because the kernel fails to
perform basic bookkeeping.

>>Lost work will only happen due to user errors, software bugs or hardware
>>problems.

> Not true.

   See above.

>>If you overcommit memory, you can lose the file you were editing in
>>emacs simply because someone sent you an email and the MTA needed a bit
>>of memory to deliver it to you. Some people, myself included, just don't
>>find that acceptable at all.

> Memory overcommit is here to stay. As I recall, Linux already used
> overcommit and COW when I started using it at version 0.99pl13.

   So what is /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory for, if not to make
overcommitment of memory an _option_?

> Get used to it, or find another OS...

   You're such a good Linux advocate...

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: mailto:rask@kampsax.dtu.dk |
| Please do NOT Cc: to me or the | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| mailing list. I am on the list.| "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC |
| Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive? |