Re: Overcommitable memory??

From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen (rask-linux@kampsax.k-net.dk)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 12:44:09 EST

Den 14-Mar-00 01:12:45 skrev Khimenko Victor fĝlgende om "Re: Overcommitable memory??":
> In <3050.107T650T8914010rask@kampsax.k-net.dk> Rask Ingemann Lambertsen
> (rask@kampsax.k-net.dk) wrote:

>> Without overcommit that just can not happen. There will be either a free
>> page of memory or a free page of swap into which you can swap something
>> else out.

> No. There WILL NOT be anything available in worst-case scenario.

   Yes there will. Once a program has allocated its memory, it is always
available as long as you don't overcommit memory.

   Perhaps we are simply thinking of two different worst-case scenarios? The
one I'm thinking of is the case where applications use all the memory they
have allocated. A kernel which doesn't overcommit memory needs to do nothing
to handle that situation.

> Unless by
> not overcommiting you mean "keep 3GiB of virtual memory for each task"

   You know I don't.

> What do you prefer ?

   I've answered that more than ten times now: No overcommitment of memory.

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: mailto:rask@kampsax.dtu.dk |
| Please do NOT Cc: to me or the | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| mailing list. I am on the list.| "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC |
| Keyboard error: <Ctrl> and <Alt> are stuck - press <Del> to continue |