Re: Overcommitable memory??

From: David Whysong (dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 14:18:09 EST

On 15 Mar 2000, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
>Den 14-Mar-00 18:32:49 Rik van Riel wrote:
>> On 13 Mar 2000, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:

>> Not really. Without overcommit you may still have random program
>> crashes and lost work...
>
> Yes, really. Maybe I should have said "additional lost work" instead
>of just "lost work". Without overcommit, program crashes will only
>happen due software bugs or hardware problems.

Not true. With no overcommit, you can still crash programs due to OOM
situations.

>Lost work will only happen due to user errors, software bugs or hardware
>problems.

Not true.

>If you overcommit memory, you can lose the file you were editing in
>emacs simply because someone sent you an email and the MTA needed a bit
>of memory to deliver it to you. Some people, myself included, just don't
>find that acceptable at all.

Memory overcommit is here to stay. As I recall, Linux already used
overcommit and COW when I started using it at version 0.99pl13. Get used
to it, or find another OS...

Dave

David Whysong dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu
Astrophysics graduate student University of California, Santa Barbara
My public PGP keys are on my web page - http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dwhysong
DSS PGP Key 0x903F5BD6 : FE78 91FE 4508 106F 7C88 1706 B792 6995 903F 5BD6
D-H PGP key 0x5DAB0F91 : BC33 0F36 FCCD E72C 441F 663A 72ED 7FB7 5DAB 0F91