Re: (reiserfs) Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Xuan Baldauf (technik--reiserfs@exmail.de)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 13:51:13 EST

Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Xuan Baldauf wrote:
> > > Users _have_ that choice. http://www.devlinux.com/projects/reiserfs/
> > > You are allowed to use things not in the standard tree. Go wild!
> >
> > If I would have had this in mind, I would have written "chance". Users
> > have the chance, if they stumble over reiserfs, but they do not have the
> > choice, because they are not asked.
>
> Good point. I have a very useful shell script called `ft' and users
> should have the _choice_ to use it. But they don't because they don't
> know about it.
>
> Please Linus, can you put my `ft' script in the kernel before 2.4?
> Sorry, I don't remember what it does.

lol :o)

The difference is: your ft script belongs to the distros, reiserfs to the
kernel. Ask some distros to include your script, maybe it is considered
useful. ;o) (Maybe reiserfs also belongs to distros, not to the kernel, but I
thought that we do not really want to go this way (and break linux into
distro-specific linux like latin into italian, french, spanish...) But maybe
I'm wrong...)

> > Compare this to some dictatures... say Serbia. Most people have the
> > chance to change the political system (they can try to form opposition
> > and demonstrate, etc.), but they do not have the choice, because they
> > have no democratic elections.
>
> (I wonder what the Serbs on this list think of that).

I wonder, too, if somebody feels offended, please feel being apologized,
too... (Or please tell me what's the reality, I just quoted the local media
viewpoint to have an example..)

> If that's what chance and choice mean, then users _do_ have the choice
> to install Reiserfs.

I do not get that point (maybe I'm to tired). Is the user asked "reiserfs"
within "make menuconfig" after freshly installing a current kernel? Until the
answer to this question is "no", users have only the chance, but not the
choice...

> Enjoy.

Personally, I do! :o)

> thanks,