Re: (reiserfs) Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Jamie Lokier (lfs@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 14:02:29 EST

Xuan Baldauf wrote:
> lol :o)
>
> The difference is: your ft script belongs to the distros, reiserfs to the
> kernel. Ask some distros to include your script, maybe it is considered
> useful. ;o) (Maybe reiserfs also belongs to distros, not to the kernel, but I
> thought that we do not really want to go this way (and break linux into
> distro-specific linux like latin into italian, french, spanish...) But maybe
> I'm wrong...)

Linux is already distro-specific. Different distributions already use
different, customised kernels. You didn't know that?

Some of them may even ship with Reiserfs.

Anyway, the arguments against including Reiserfs at this time are not
about market positioning or user information. They are about technical
development and maintenance issues. An fs in the kernel tree is not
independent of the generic VFS code. Once in the tree, the two are
evolved together. This holds even for "experimental" code.

Good fs code of general interest generally does get into the kernel
tree, if it's clean and works as the current VFS expects.

> > > Compare this to some dictatures... say Serbia. Most people have the
> > > chance to change the political system (they can try to form opposition
> > > and demonstrate, etc.), but they do not have the choice, because they
> > > have no democratic elections.
> > If that's what chance and choice mean, then users _do_ have the choice
> > to install Reiserfs.
>
> I do not get that point (maybe I'm to tired). Is the user asked "reiserfs"
> within "make menuconfig" after freshly installing a current kernel? Until the
> answer to this question is "no", users have only the chance, but not the
> choice...

Nonsense. With your political dictatorship example you have defined
choice to mean "if they want to, they can". And chance to mean "they
can try but they won't necessarily get it".

Actually a democracy doesn't give people (plural not "the people") the
choice to change their political system -- tyranny of the majority may
prevent that or, often, even if the majority wish to change something
that may not be possible within the chosen democratic system. (I know
of no perfect system).

enjoy,
-- Jamie