Re: (reiserfs) Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Jamie Lokier (lfs@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 13:32:20 EST

Xuan Baldauf wrote:
> > Users _have_ that choice. http://www.devlinux.com/projects/reiserfs/
> > You are allowed to use things not in the standard tree. Go wild!
>
> If I would have had this in mind, I would have written "chance". Users
> have the chance, if they stumble over reiserfs, but they do not have the
> choice, because they are not asked.

Good point. I have a very useful shell script called `ft' and users
should have the _choice_ to use it. But they don't because they don't
know about it.

Please Linus, can you put my `ft' script in the kernel before 2.4?
Sorry, I don't remember what it does.

> Compare this to some dictatures... say Serbia. Most people have the
> chance to change the political system (they can try to form opposition
> and demonstrate, etc.), but they do not have the choice, because they
> have no democratic elections.

(I wonder what the Serbs on this list think of that).

If that's what chance and choice mean, then users _do_ have the choice
to install Reiserfs. Enjoy.

thanks,
-- Jamie