Re: Kernel bugs found using inspect tool

From: Folkert van Heusden (flok99@dds.nl)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 09:53:06 EST

Stephen Satchell wrote:
> I get burned on this from time to time, especially after working on PL/I
> code. In my programs, I have a style rule that says that an empty
> statement of a for, while, do, or if statement must be coded as {} in order
> to show that the set of instructions to execute is empty. (I also have the
> style rule that EVERY for, while, do, or if statement must have the object
> instruction(s) enclosed in braces -- I got this from Plauger's book and it
> has helped immensely.)

I totally agree with you.
Maybe yeah, it's more keystrokes. Yeah, code looks larger'n'stuff.
But what matters in big projects such as the linux-kernel; it must be as
maintainable as possible! So any codingstyle that makes things more
readable/
less prone to errors should be encouraged.

In my opinion, the kernel is also rather under-documented, so
to say.