Re: Caches in modules

From: Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 09:56:30 EST

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> > I'm trying to implement a cache in a module.
>
> presumably you have investigated using general-purpose cache
> manager, i.e. slab allocator and found it to be inadequate for
> your specific needs?

No memory pressure is exerted on the slab cache, all we
do is agressively reclaim pages that contain unused
entries only...

I think registering a cache with do_try_to_free_pages()
is a good idea. It allows for a more flexible architecture
where drivers can register and unregister caches at their
whim and still have their caches shrunk on demand if there's
memory pressure.

The wanted long-term behaviour is that memory pressure on
caches is directly proportional to the amount of memory a
cache uses, but it's quite possible that the caches can
manage that themselves (with the help of some documentation).

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.