Sample conf.modules, was: Re: 2.3.43 breaks pppd! (SOLVED, possible config gotcha)

From: William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 08:41:03 EST

Good morning, Keith and Adam,

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Keith Owens wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:35:01 -0500, willy@thepuffingroup.com wrote:
> >On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 05:33:42PM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >> I agree with you that the functionality is there. However, both the
> >> PPP driver and pppd have been written and documented in a way that
> >> means, as we both agree, that makes it hard or impossible to figure
> >> out the dependencies without hunting through the source code.
> >
> >Right. So this information should be in the sample modules.conf that
> >I think Keith Owens was talking about maintaining.. Keith?
>
> No, I will not be maintaining a suggested list of modules.conf entries.
> modutils is a general service and it is up to the user of that service
> (pppd in this case) to document their requirements when running as a
> module. Just because a driver has incomplete documentation is no
> reason to expect somebody else to provide the missing docs.

        I understand your argument that modutils shouldn't be responsible
for documenting all the other modules. On the other hand, if a reasonably
complete one exists that might provide the example an end user needs,
wouldn't it make sense to include it in the modutils package for
reference?
        Adam Richter sent out a proposed universal conf.modules file in
1998 (see "Announce+RFC: universal base /etc/conf.modules file", sent Fri,
24 Apr 1998 18:58:59 -0700, attached; there may have been later postings
with updated versions). Adam - are you still maintaining that?
        Cheers,
        - Bill

Windows 2000 installed without a hitch, but the process takes so long
that InfoWorld Senior Analyst Maggie Biggs and I are debating over the
best 10 things you can do while you wait. One of her thoughts is to run
a marathon. And not finish first.

I'll have to fall back on one of my favorites: spit shining the Empire
State Building.

- Courtesy of Nicholas Petreley, Infoworld