Re: Sample conf.modules, was: Re: 2.3.43 breaks pppd! (SOLVED, possible config gotcha)

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 14:40:08 EST

>> No, I will not be maintaining a suggested list of modules.conf entries.
>> modutils is a general service and it is up to the user of that service
>> (pppd in this case) to document their requirements when running as a
>> module. Just because a driver has incomplete documentation is no
>> reason to expect somebody else to provide the missing docs.

> I understand your argument that modutils shouldn't be responsible
>for documenting all the other modules. On the other hand, if a reasonably
>complete one exists that might provide the example an end user needs,
>wouldn't it make sense to include it in the modutils package for
>reference?
> Adam Richter sent out a proposed universal conf.modules file in
>1998 (see "Announce+RFC: universal base /etc/conf.modules file", sent Fri,
>24 Apr 1998 18:58:59 -0700, attached; there may have been later postings
>with updated versions). Adam - are you still maintaining that?
> Cheers,
> - Bill

        We distribute a "univerasal" base modules.conf file as part of
pciconf (ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/pub/dist/device_control/pciconf-0.69.tar.gz).
I am happy to accept updates and release new versions of pciconf promptly
to reflect those updates.

        By the way, I have a suggestion for modprobe. I wish that
modprobe would allow "if -f" to accept method of generating the
/lib/modules/<kernel_version> path, so this file could directly support
different kernel versions where certain module names have changed
(like ide-probe and ide-probe-mod) without the need for these more
complex scripts in pciconf to modify the customized portion of the
modules.conf file at boot time. The last time I checked, "if -f" did
not support backquotes (although I would prefer some mechanism that
did not require modprobe to exec yet another program, especially for
a value that might be evaluated several times each time modules.conf.base
is traversed).

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."