Linux console driver maintainer?

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 07:29:44 EST

A quick scan of the MAINTAINERS file shows nobody maintaining
"console". I'm wanting to know if 2.2.x (2.2.14
specifically) supports virtual consoles with different text modes
on each. For example, I'd like VC8 (tty8) to be 80x50, but I'd
like tty1 to be 116x60 (via SVGAtextmode). I'd like to be able
to individually set each virtual console to a different text mode
and be able to switch from console to console and have the kernel
switch video modes as I go.

If this is not implemented, is it easily possible? A comment in
console.c suggests that it may be available:

 * Note that the abstract console driver allows all consoles to be of
 * potentially different sizes, so the following variables depend on the
 * current console (currcons):
 *
 * - video_num_columns
 * - video_num_lines
 * - video_size_row
 * - can_do_color

If it isn't currently avail, how hard would it really be, even a
hackup version?

One issue I wonder about, if it IS possible, or can be made
easily possible, is: If I'm running X, and switch out of X back
to the console, how would X restore the video mode properly on
the given tty I switch to? Lets say I started up X on tty5 in
80x50, and then did a CTRL-ALT-F1 once it was started to switch
to tty1 which is 116x60. Would X switch to tty1 and set it to
80x50? If so, would there be a way of forcing it to switch
properly either in X, or in the kernel, or would there be a way
of forcing X to switch back to the console it started from on VC
switch?

It'd be really nice seeing logfiles on the 116x60 screen, or
160x100, but being able to run PINE on 80x50 or so...

SVGAtextmode sets ALL tty's to the same res right now.

Any help appreciated. TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Suspicious Anagram #4: Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS