Re: free_one_pmd: Bad directory entry

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 07:36:44 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:07:40 +0100 (CET), Arjan van de Ven
<arjan@fenrus.demon.nl> said:

> Yesterday I had a system-crash and today my 2.2.15pre9 system gave a
> couple of warnings:

> free_one_pmd: bad directory entry 00000200

> Is this a serious problem, is it caused by the crash or is my hardware
> flaky?

It looks like hardware, I'm afraid. Seeing single-bit errors in page
tables is one of the surest signs that you're getting odd memory
corruptions. It can be main memory or CPU-related: reseating your
memory and disabling the CPU cache in the BIOS are the first two things
to try to help narrow down the problem.

--Stephen