Re: Video4Linux Problems?

From: Crispin Flowerday (cehf2@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 13:24:19 EST

> I was compiling the 2.3.40 kernel when a string of seemingly related
> errors occurred in drivers/char/char.o. These errors all seem to have
> to do with I2C. In the character section of the kernel config, I left
> everything the same and I marked Video4Linux to be compiled into the
> kernel as well as the BookTree driver to be installed. When I took the
> Video4Linux flag away, it compiled fine. Also, I don't think I had any
> I2C modules as being marked installed. Should I have done this? I
> haven't had this problem with previous kernel configs. Also, I used
> the latests alpha patch (2.3.41-3) just to see if that fixed it, but
> it didn't. If anyone would like to correct me on what I did wrong, or
> maybe what is wrong with the configuration script, I would appreciate
> anything.

The i2c layer has changed, you have to have i2c bit-banging devices and
i2c device interface compiled as well, at least that is what works for me.
If you have them compiled into the kernel as well, try with them as a
module.

Also if you have video4linux compiled in the kernel, you probably have to
have i2c compiled in as well.

hope this helps

Crispin