Re: [RFC] change in /proc/devices

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 13:19:15 EST

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:59:56 +0000 (GMT), Alan Cox
<alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> said:

>> immaturity
>> in comparision with ... for example System V - which solved those
>> problems already decades
>> ago.

> SYS5 didnt have modules decades ago. The problem isnt actually that big nor
> an interface issue, its a locking thing in part tickled by our finer grained
> scheduling. It just means figuring out how to put the new locks in as few
> places as possible

This is one place where r/w semaphores might make it a _lot_ easier to
get the locking right in a fairly general manner. Ben's semaphores are
_really_ lean to take, and using scheduler-safe locks will make it much
easier to delegate the locking to the mid-layers instead of forcing
every driver to do it internally.

--Stephen