Re: "Clock Skew detected error"

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 09:09:41 EST

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Sujit Vaidya wrote:

> HI,
> I changed the date on the machine using the date
> command. Then the kernel compiles fine without any
> errors. But again when i reboot the system it takes
> the original date. i.e it sets the date to
> JAN ** , 1994.
> Is there any way i can change that.

Make sure your TZ variable has been set properly (in /etc/profile)

export TZ=US/Eastern
      Then make it take effect like
. /etc/profile # Execute /etc/profile
      Then reset your system time like
rdate time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov # Set time to NIST
      Then set your CMOS clock
hwclock -systohc

This should make everything fine. If you set your clock to NIST,
or to the national time-server in the country or your choice,
every time you startup and connect to a network or if your
machine is 'up' all the time, have crond (man cron) set it once
a day.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.39 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).