Re: No SCSI burning problem (was: Bug in "ide-pci.c")

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 12:11:42 EST

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 10:03:34AM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 07 2000, Dax Kelson wrote:
> > > BTW, how did your testing of the speed=4 problem with ide-scsi turn
> > > out. We are still seeing the speed=2 problem on 2.4.0-pre9. I cannot
> > > get the drive to burn clean unless the speed setting is cranked down to
> > > speed=2.
> > >
> > > Jeff
> >
> > I just burned Red Hat 7.0 disk1 iso image at on a SCSI 4x burner without
> > any problems. I have an IDE Plextor 12x burner at work, Monday I'll try a
> > burn under 2.4.0-test9.
>
> [snip]
>
> I regurlarly burn CD-R with ide-scsi on 2.4, and I've not noticed any
> problems (this is on two different atapi writers). This could be an
> ide-scsi bug on some models. The folks who are seeing corruption, could
> they try and narrow it down? Is it random data getting written, or
> data from other locations?

I think it's related to the drive type in some way. What we are seeing
is the CD burner hang on the first write to track 0. Once it starts
burning, it seems to work fine, and we have even got some clean burns
at speed=4, however, when it's set this way, we occasionally see cdrecord
hang when it attempts to write the first track of a CD. It ruins the
CD in the burner, BTW when this happens. I also see an I/O error message
from the ide-scsi driver about a timeout and data error
(but I did not write it down -- sorry).

I will burn some more CD's today, and will try to get more info. Config
is:

in lilo.conf:

append "hdd=ide-scsi"

and the CDROM device is mapped to:

/dev/scd0

and I load the ide-scsi module:

insmod ide-scsi

and:

cdrecord -scanbus.

Then we use the system to burn CD's all day.

Jeff