RE: Tux 2 patents

From: Marty Fouts (marty@dotcast.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 23:11:44 EST

I don't know a lawyer I would trust who would give free legal advice on a
mailing list without the usual disclaimers.

And I don't care what you've done elsewhere, you have, here, been misleading
about patent law. I stand by my recommendation that people who are
interested should read the Nolo Press book and then, if they have specific
issues, consult an IP lawyer on those particular issues.

In addition to the Nolo press, by the way, the US Patent Office now has a
web site with good general information for those people who are interested
in US patent issues. (http://www.uspto.gov/) I suppose there is a similar
web site for people interested in EU patent specifics as well. One of the
serveral ways in which you were mistaken in your assertions is that you've
neglected to clarify where US Patent Law differs from Patent Law in other
jurisdictions. You may be in Utah, but not everyone on this mailing list
is.