patch installation

From: Anil kumar (anils_r@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 19:09:30 EST

Hi,
 I am installing a RAID patch to my present kernel
 which is 2.2.12.
 This is the procedure I am following:
 1.I get the patch file in /usr/src/linux
 2. #patch -p1 < patchfilename

 After this is done it asks me something like this:
 Already available .
 creating a patch file /usr/src/....
 And asks me to use Assume -R[n]
 what does Assume -R[n] mean , what should I do?

 I went further & tried as n , thinking it as normal
 operation.
 It creates a .rej file
 I patched some files manually by looking at .rej file
and some were done by patch command.

 Now after I do : make bzImage
 I get many compilation errors .
 Ex: member not avialable in struct

 This member & structure are available only in the
 patch file, but not in the file which is modified
 after the patch & not available in .rej too.

 I dont know whats happenning?

 with regards,
  Anil