Re: What is up with Redhat 7.0?

From: Jes Sorensen (jes@linuxcare.com)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 06:38:01 EST

>>>>> "Harald" == Harald Dunkel <harri@synopsys.COM> writes:

Harald> It seems that you are ignoring other major distros (Slackware,
Harald> Suse, Debian, etc.) as well as commercial software. By
Harald> providing an incompatible binary interface RedHat splits the
Harald> Linux community into 2 parts. I am *very* concerned about
Harald> this.

Harald> I guess that RedHat (as the owner of Cygnus and working very
Harald> closely with the FSF) would have had sufficient arguments to
Harald> get an official(!) gcc 2.96 before release date of RedHat
Harald> 7.0.

Just as they forced an official glibc-2.2 release through for the rh7
release? Maybe you should stop insulting the people who are actually
doing the Free Software work who just happens to be paid by Red Hat.

I would personally have preferred to see RH7 postponed at least until
glibc-2.2 was put out as a release candidate. gcc on the other hand I
don't expect to see being released anytime soon enough for it to make
sense (I might be wrong), and Richard is quite right about the C++
binary compat problems, so far nobody has even been able to agree on
the naming scheme of the shared libstdc++ package, we just have to
wait for 3.0.

Jes