Re: What is up with Redhat 7.0?

From: Jes Sorensen (jes@linuxcare.com)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 06:27:36 EST

>>>>> "Marc" == Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com> writes:

Marc> On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 04:26:38PM +0100, Alan Cox
Marc> <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> > Which still makes it an broken, experimental, unreleased and
>> unofficial > compiler, with all the consequences I said.
>>
>> And didnt you write something called pgcc once.

Marc> Oh yes, of course while providing full binary compatibility. You
Marc> can even mix & match objects from gcc and pgcc and agcc, no
Marc> kidding. No distribution that used pgcc was ever binary
Marc> incompatible to any other distribution, which is the point you
Marc> keep ignoring.

Doesn't do much good if one of the compilers generates bogus output,
but obviously you never had to deal with the bug reports coming out of
distributors shipping $#@%$# pgcc as their default compiler. Mandrake
6.0 was a disaster in this regard, people would mail you saying they
used a standard RH6 to compile and the code didn't work, you made them
use a working compiler (ie. not the pgcc crap) and the code suddenly
worked just fine. Fortunately Mandrake becamse wiser and threw it
away.

Looks to me like Alan's plonk was very appropriate here.

Jes