Re: ide-scsi problems with plextor IDE drive

From: Robert B. Easter (reaster@comptechnews.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 00:12:47 EST

I'm having the same exact problem with a Plextor PX-8432T CD-RW drive that
another person reported back in March (see copy of message by person
identified as "c o r e" below):

Vendor: PLEXTOR Model: CD-R PX-W8432T Rev: 1.07
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

This is an IDE CD-RW drive on /dev/hdc, configured as a SCSI using ide-scsi
emulation. It shows up on my system as /dev/sr0 and /dev/scd0 (I don't know
what the difference is between the two device files, they seem to function
the same).

I cannot mount it! However, somehow (I have no idea how) I did manage to get
it to mount once but after rebooting it would not mount again. Even though I
can't mount it, I can write audio cds with it (and likely data cds too but I
have not tried that yet). When the drive is configured as an IDE drive on
/dev/hdc, I can mount it without any problem as long as I give mount -t
iso9660. Without the -t iso9660 it fails to mount. Its very strange that I
can write cds and play cd music off the drive, but if I try to mount it, it
fails just like "c o r e" experienced below. Is there any fix for this yet?
I'm using Linux kernel 2.2.16. Any help greatly appreciated.