Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4964

Robert Dinse (nanook@eskimo.com)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 21:53:26 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 Stephane Dudzinski <stephane@continuus.ie> writes:

> Ok, that's a point but would that explain that SCSI cards (like the
> adaptec 78xx AHA-2940 u/w SCSI) would start to have some
> strange behaviors like SCSI timeouts whatever you are trying to do ?

This has pretty much always been my experience with Adaptec controllers,
from Linux .98 to current.

Every one I've had fail has failed flakey like this. Start out with a
bus, maybe five devices on the bus, everything has run OK for a couple of
months, and then I start seeing SCSI errors.

So I mess around, try to eliminate devices to no avail; and finally I swap
out the passive terminator with an active.. Then things run OK again, for a
couple of months. Then errors start creeping in again, timeouts, occasional
bus hangs. Then I swap out the active for a forced-perfect terminator; and
again, things behave for a while.

Then after a couple of months things start flaking out again; and I go
through and replace all the cabling with the shortest cables I can get away
with, and things seem to stablize for a while, then the errors start occuring
again.

And I can't get them to stop for anything. Replace the controller, things
are good for a while, 4 or 5 months later they start flaking again. Replace
the controller again, another 4 or 5 quiet months.

Finally, replace Adaptec with Buslogics (or whatever the name of the
company that bought them)... No more problems.

I don't know what it is about Adaptec's, maybe I've just been unlucky, but
I am personally convinced there is something about the bus drivers or
tranceivers that gradually degrade.