Re: How to upgrade boot floppy

clubneon (clubneon@hereintown.net)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 01:18:03 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Neil Aggarwal wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I followed the kernel howto to download, compile, and
> upgrade my kernel for my RH 6.0 installation.
>
> Since I am on a laptop, I boot from a floppy disk
> created during the installation to get into linux.
>
> Unforutnately, when I booted from the floppy, I
> still get the old kernel.
>
> How do I upgrade the floppy disk?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil.

Since you don't seem to be booting from the hard drive at all you could
just `make zdisk` (or bzdisk if needed) when building the kernel. Just
have your destined boot disk in the drive and the new kernel will be dd'ed
right out to it.

On the other hand you could just manually dd the compressed kernel image
to the floppy with the same effect.

You can make a lilo boot disk, but that is a little more involved. If
this is want you want (need) let me know and I'll go into it for you.

-Chris M.