Re: [Fwd: Dual Celery on BP6]

Ted Sikora (tsikora@home.com)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 21:50:19 -0500

Taso Hatzi wrote:

> Rob Hall wrote:
>
> > What makes this problem so damn weird is the fact that it's happening in
> > random configurations, with diffierently clocked cpus and bus rates, but by the same
>
> That statement may be wrong. My config produced the APIC errors with a
> 2.3.x kernel
> so I quickly went back to a 2.2.x kernel. When people say their config
> is stable,
> I would like to know which kernel they are running.
>
> >From what I've been reading in this list, I suspect the BP6 design is
> flaky. I
> reckon abit were a bit too agressive with the design but put it onto the
> market anyway.

Even if thats the case it has proved to be one of the most stable boards
ABit has ever made. Aside from the ocassional errors from kernel-2.2.33
it still runs perfectly. I think we may be making more out of this than
is what's really wrong. My system for example with 2x400 is currently
running at 2x533 with kernel-2.2.14pre15 and FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE
perfectly. I run 2 SETI@home sessions nightly too. If I do a dmesg with
kernel-2.2.33 I get the error but it still runs fine.

> There is a disclaimer in the manual about the board not being intended
> to run
> multiple CPUs - maybe it's not just to appease Intel, but to let abit
> off the hook if customers go back to them claiming it doesn't run two
> CPUs
> reliably.
>
> -

Ted Sikora