Re: bigphysarea in 2.3?

Pauline Middelink (middelin@polyware.nl)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:37:04 +0100

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 10:12:14AM +0000, Tom Leete wrote:
> Adam Fritzler wrote:
> >
> > Are the command lines to the e820 code documented somewhere? Is it
> > documented how to get a driver to use the allocated blocks?
> >
> Command line format is documented in comment near the top of
> parse_mem_cmdline() about 500 lines into
> arch/i386/kernel/setup.c.

I don't see how this helps us. All it allows us is to seperate
a piece of memory, so we can scribbe something to it later.

First we don't know what piece of memory is available for
removal, on a 64MB machine you want another part of memory
reserved than on the 2GB one..

Second, how can the driver know what piece of memory it can use?
How can we protect two drivers (sound,grabber?) using the same
piece of memory twice? etc etc

If you revered the guy to the alloc_bootmem() interface I could
seen some light there, but the mem= interface is not the way to
go (for the casual user at least!)

Unfortuantly alloc_bootmem does not work for modules...

I see definitly some light for the bigphysarea patch, working
closely together with alloc_bootmem to get its much needed
memory...

Met vriendelijke groet,
Pauline Middelink

--
PGP Key fingerprint = DE 6B D0 D9 19 AD A7 A0  58 A3 06 9D B6 34 39 E2
For more details look at my website http://www.polyware.nl/~middelin