Re: Linux 2.2.14pre13

Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 01:35:58 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 kernel@ddx.a2000.nu wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Ok this mops up the remaining bug reports and fixes. I still have a few
> > pending unresolved bugs but not enough to worry about.
> >
> > 2.2.14pre13
> > o Cure SMP deadlock on non DMA ide disk (me)
>
> non DMA ?

Alan,

I will bail you out of the question....

All modern drives are designed with DMA transfers.
Should DMA fault out for any reason......We revert to PIOing.
The fastest method is multi-read/write and blowing off the DRQ until we
complete the total transfer request.

Since most, me included, are DMA centric, the classic transfer mode of
PIOing is sometimes overlooked and then cleaned up as an afterthought.

This was the "afterthought".

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy