Re: Kernels do not compile anymore

Arjan van de Ven (adve@oce.nl)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:30:47 +0100 (CET)

In article <ADD8OLuCQ8@khim.sch57.msk.ru> you wrote:
> In <Pine.LNX.3.95.991213154310.4760A-100000@chaos.analogic.com> Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com) wrote:

> You just noticed this trend ??? ALL 2.1.x and 2.2.x kernel will not compile
> with all modules turned "on" (Alan's versions are better but still can not
> be compiled "out of box").

I must object to this. In the 2.1.x days (x approx 126 - 132) I have put in many
hours to make the kernel compile under any circumstance, and although not
everything I patched was applied back then, most "stupid" things were.
And 2.2.14pre12 should compile for you under ANY(1) circumstance.
I will start working on pre13 tonight.

>> The 2.3.31 release of a development kernel (December 6) had, not only
>> problems with missing variables like "memory_start", etc., but also had
>> incomplete structures, missing structure members, etc., all over the place.

This is intentional. The interfaces have changed, and making the kernel not
compile the as-yet unfixed drivers is the best way to get them fixed.

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven

(1) Except when you enable the hfmodem driver, that one has no maintainer
and is known to be broken non-modular.