Re: Why video region busy?

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:43:03 -0500

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > My code currently avoids resource management and just directly writes to
> > 0xA0000 -- not a good solution.

> Why not? I can basically guarantee that it's going to be marked busy for
> you.

Because I need to subdivide the space for multiple heads. First card
uses the region described (A0000-AFFFF), second card uses the next
region B0000-BFFFF, etc. The Cirrus cards can do MMIO in the region
marked busy too.

The driver can of course continue just bit-banging directly and have the
knowledge of the multiple regions contained within the driver, but I
would prefer use kernel resource management if possible. That would
allow clgenfb and s3fb cooperate quite nicely with each other, and any
other drivers which come along that use that region.

I wonder if I can use the busy video region's resource record as a
parent, and sub-allocate from that... I need to give the kernel's
resource code a rescan to find out.

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Just once, I wish we would encounter
Building 1024            | an alien menace that wasn't immune to