Re: Windows 9x and RFC1323

Jeffrey B. Siegal (jbs@quiotix.com)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:58:09 -0800

Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> Do you know for sure it broken and not something else going on?

No, as I said in a later message, the results of subsequent testing with sack
on/off were not as I expected. I will do more testing when I get a chance.

> have SACK enabled on machines that make hundred if not thousands of
> connections to both solaris and windows machines every day... if
> there are problems, I've not seen them -- but then again, I'm
> certainly not looking either.

The problems I've seen are very sensitive to characteristics that are
unclear. A connection from a single Windows system (running either NT or 98,
doesn't matter) to a Linux system on one network works fine, while one on
another network pretty consistently fails. Both Linux sustems are running
out-of-the-box RH 6.1 on Pentium-II SMP hardware. One is 400 Mhz; the other
is 450 MHz. More later.