Re: Ext3 Filesystem

Joel Becker (jlbec@innerx.net)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:43:52 -0500

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 12:38:19PM +0100, Josef Höök wrote:
> I must disagree on that. If your disk where you've put the journal
> breaks
> then you have a long night ahead restoring backups.
> I can only refer to Aix which has a journal log for every disk,
> one journal / disk and all filesystems within.

As a small point of technical correctness, AIX has a minimum of
one journal per volume group (collection of physical disks). Should
the disk containing the journal fail, the other filesystems cannot be
mounted (and currently mounted ones become read-only, iirc) until the
journal is rebuilt. The data on them is still fully accessable, and
there is no need for recovery/restore. As soon as a new journal is
replaced, the journal is on-the-fly rebuilt, and away it goes.
You can, of course, have more than one journal per volume group,
assigning whatever filesystems to each journal as you please. Ext3
was to support this eventually, iirc again.
AIX journals can be mirrored just like any AIX logical volume, so
if you are seriously concerned about your journal's disk, mirror it on
a separate disk, or use RAID storage. I don't know that you can
simply mirror a journal in ext3, but you should certainly be able to
put the filesystem and its associated journal on RAID storage (hardware
or md driver) to provide the integrity you need.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #347

"Never waste the oppourtunity to tell someone you love them."

jlbec@evilplan.org http://ocala.cs.miami.edu/~jlbec