Re: Binary drivers

Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 19:28:12 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Kendall Bennett wrote:

> Stephen Frost <sfrost@mail.snowman.net> wrote:
>
> > Come up w/ the API. Develop the code. Modify the current driver
> > set (completely) to this new API. bug-proof it, test it, and prove
> > that performance doesn't decrease any for any of those drivers.
>
> The problem is a philosophical one. I am not willing to expend any
> energy helping to develop code to make Linux better if the end result
> is that it won't be accepted into the Linux kernel.

That is where you are "DEAD WRONG"......
I only mentioned the concept without a name, after several years of work.
My former life was an academic......

Do you understand the level of difficulty to get venders to consider Linux
as an OS near the end of the "a.out" kernels 1.2.8......

That gives you a time frame on the insight of the future to create....

> At the end of the day, maybe one day I will end up doing this, and
> the result may well be a fork of the Linux kernel (since there are a
> lot of people who do agree with what I have to say).

You are a day late and a dollar short.....
I have been working on this for years to perfect the model that was
compatable with the "GNU General Public License" and its cousin.

Oh, where is Chico in relation to Oakland?
I just moved out to the west coast about 35 days ago.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy
http://linux.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/