Re: Hyper-Sparc CPU's in Sparc20 chas.(was Re: SS-10 -> Ultra Question.)

Robert Dinse (nanook@eskimo.com)
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:42:48 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

> Hello Robert, I tried an grunt experiment . I put Two Ross
> HyperSparc Dual 66Mhz cpu's in my sparc20 chassis & attempted
> to install RH-6.1 on the system . After several lock ups ,
> and just plain funky behaviour (ie: key presses mis-interpreted) .
> I opened the case and removed the cpu's emmediately after power
> off , they were almost to hot to handle as a rough guess approx.
> 125 Deg. F. Now in my book this is way to hot for a cpu to be
> and would definately cause the flaky behaviour I (& maybe you)
> were seeing . I will later attempt to add some additional fans
> to the case & see if the added airflow helps .
>
> When I popped these out I dropped back in an old set of Ross
> 40Mhz Dual cpu's & started the process over , So far nothing
> ill has happened . Hth, JimL

I am sure that's not the issue. The reason I say this is that SunOS 4.1.4
will run for months without a crash on the same hardware.

My main shell server here is a SunOS 4.1.4 machine on the same hardware
except that it's also got a FDDI card in the box generating additional heat and
if I don't have to boot it for some other reason it will generally go about six
weeks between crashes.

For what it may or may not be worth, I don't have drives in this box so
there isn't that source of heat, just the CPU's, memory, etc.