follow up: Re: Truncated files in cdrom burned from an .iso image?

Mr. James W. Laferriere (babydr@baby-dragons.com)
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:43:10 -0800 (PST)

Hello All, Found the difficulty . The cdrom drive itself was
improperly attached to its controller , which made it improperly
terminated also . But even after rechecking everything I could
lay my hands on . This particular cdrom drive with the same
cd image still has a bit of flakiness , in that it will get a
request from the system and hang for a second or two then respond .
Maybe the drive itself going away ? Or dirty ?, ...

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> Hello All, I am having a bit problem here . I asked a friend
> to burn a cdrom of the RH sparc 6.1 iso image . He did so .
> I can mount the image & appears I can 'find /cdrom -type f -ls'
> the dir. structure without error . But several (if not all)
> files if I 'cat filename >/dev/null' gives me .
> cat: 'filename': I/O error
> And I just found these in the dmesg output .
> scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 4, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 04 9a
> 74 00 00 01 00
> Info fld=0x49a74, Current sr0b:00: sense key Medium Error
> Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read error
> CD-ROM I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1206736
> And later on reading another file .
> scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 4, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 04 9a
> 09 00 00 01 00
> CD-ROM I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1206308
> Definately not a good thing .
> Just wondering if anyone else may have had this happen ?
> and/or If anyone may have found a way around this .
> What I am hoping is that the data may actually still be there
> only the timing of the cdrom drive may be off or somesuch .
Tia, JimL