Re: [linux-usb] URB-ifying usb

Gregory P. Smith (greg@electricrain.com)
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 14:45:38 -0800

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

> Actually, this does bring up another problem for me - because I don't have
> time to follow the USB mailing lists, I've several times not been able to
> make any judgement at all about some of the USB patches I've received.=20
=2E..
> Is anybody willing to step up to the plate in the form of a "General USB
> maintainer", the same way Alan Cox maintains all sound drivers as far as
> I'm concerned (he obviously doesn't, but he acts as a "collector of
> patches" and as a judge)? It obviously needs to be somebody who gets along
> with people, and also somebody who can say NO! when required - not just
> gathering things up.
=2E..
> Linus

Yes, this would be a very useful thing.

I'm not a perfect canidate due to my time restrictions but am willing if
people want me to. Lets hear a few more volunteers (Johannes? Randy?,
anyone else?). Here are my modest qualifications.

pros:
+ know the USB code reasonably well. (uhci being the exception)
+ I play well with others.
+ I'll keep the latest sources in a CVS repository & setup anonymous
access for developers to sync up with.

cons:
- I am busy with a startup so my turnaround time may be slow,
especially during the week.
- I don't want to do patch merging for people; if two good patches
conflict, one or none of them will be applied & the submitters
informed.

IMHO, more than one maintainer would be nice. How do people feel about
using a system such as http://www.sourceforge.net/ (free, sponsored by
valinux) for CVS sound? [Allowing a few of us commit access and having
the rest of people coordinate patches through us via the mailing list?]
(if that sounds like bsd style development, well, it is and it works) One
of us could be designated as the "alpha maintainer" to keep the kernel up
to date with our tree by feeding patches to linus. No flamewars please.

Greg

--=20
Gregory P. Smith pgp: http://suitenine.com/greg/pgp/
C379 1F92 3703 52C9 87C4 BE58 6CDA DB87 105D 9163

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--