Re: (reiserfs) format change policy +

Hans Reiser (reiser@idiom.com)
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 01:33:32 +0300

Ed Tomlinson wrote:

> Hans,
>
> I suggest you pass this on to Linus to see his reaction. He may well suggest
> some changes to make this interact with the way he works. By doing this now
> you may avoid some unpleasentness later. Know that some other groups do not
> place their 'development' code in the test kernel (for instance network drivers)
> and this bothers Linus - he feels that the code get much better testing if its
> in the test kernel. As suggested previously, maybe you could structure things
> to support both versions in the 'odd' kernels? IMHO Linus would be much happier
> with this (I have read a few of his 'rants' concerning ISDN and Donald Blecker's
> network drivers).

Ok. Posting on Linux Kernel seems to be the only way to reach him with email.

> BTW, congradulations. Looks like 3.5.12 is working out to be a real GOLD release.
> Must feel good to see it out without any major (fingers crossed) problems popping
> up.

Yes, it does feel like quite a relief.

> Look very forward to seeing what appears in the new version of the fs. Do you have
> any sort of roadmap ready to publish?

Just what is on the website. If you come to the Chaos Communications conference in
Berlin this month, you can hear me talk about the future of ReiserFS as a tool for
increasing the chaotic level of the OS by increasing the number of possible
interactions between OS components, and thereby raising its expressive power.....:-)
It's gotta be a fun conference, I'm gonna have fun giving this talk, so glad they
asked me to speak, it will be my first time there.....

--
Get Linux (http://www.kernel.org) plus ReiserFS
 (http://devlinux.org/namesys).  If you sell an OS or