Re: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)

Gergely Madarasz (gorgo@sztaki.hu)
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 23:33:16 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> Really it seems nobody cares about the implications of the problem and if
> nobody needs the change I don't need it either for myself. So probably
> it's better to put the change in an unofficial patch (for example in the
> Solar's secure-linux patch with the stack not executable stuff?) so very
> special cases will have a way to go with linux.

Actually Solar's patch has something like this implemented, hidden
behind the {[*] Restricted links in /tmp} config option, but it is even
more restrictive with hardlinks, it allows only the owner to make
hardlinks. Since it breaks some software like the mailman mailing list
manager, I proposed him to allow hardlinks on files with write access, he
said it still has some security implications but he'd think about it, I
don't know what happened since...

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@sztaki.hu           gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                   HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/