Re: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:36:18 -0700

Alexander Viro writes:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
> > I don't need quota for myself either. So? Do you suggest to remove quota
> > from the kernel because me and you don't need it? You can't just take
> > decisions for everybody only looking at your needs. Or you should then say
> > "this system is insecure and you should run it only in an envinroment like
> > mine". Personally I like linux to be secure and to be safe enough to run
> > also in very very hostile environments.
>
> The last time: your change does not increase
> security. Sigh... Andrea, learn to read. Really.

I don't like posting a "me too", but Al catches the essence your
misconception. Pay attention.

You get full security by locking your directories. Restricting hard
links to inodes you can write to *does not* improve security. The
existing Unix semantics with uids and gids gives you full flexibilty
to implement a security policy as tight or relaxed as you wish.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca