Re: IRQ Layout.

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:29:50 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > The Linux IOAPIC code just uses the IRQ layout that is present in the
> > system, we have no influence on this.
>
> One day, we may want to change this. For one, on a SMP system with 2
> NICs, one might want each of the NICs delever their interrupt to a
> separate (but for each NIC always the same) CPU. [...]

the point is that we _cannot_ change this. The IOAPIC pins are often
directly connected to respective PCI-bus interrupt pins. If the card sends
an INT#D then there is no way we can ever change this. This is a physical
property. Unless every Linux distribution includes a tiny remote
controllable robot equipped with a screwdriver and a soldering iron, i
doubt the kernel could ever get around this.

-- mingo