Re: fbcon + scrolling = irq timeouts?

Benno Senoner (benno@gardena.net)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:05:56 +0100

Gabor Lenart wrote:

> In redraw mode there is NO any BIOS call after mode intialization AFAIK with
> vesa frame buffer as well. The only thing : redrawing the screen takes
> too much time in kernel time without process scheduling etc ... That's
> why I suggested a kernel thread to do this instead. But I think this problem
> is present with other non-vesa frame buffers as well if screen redrawing
> is not fast enough (however latency would be definitly better with kernel
> thread based frame buffer redrawing etc). This letter is strongly afaik and
> imho however :)

As long as there is no nasty recursive code, I think it's easier to shorten the
execution paths of the framebuffer code by inserting rescheduling hookups
(checking if rescheduling is needed then call schedule() ).

An update kernel thread could work as well, but it might be more complicated to
implement this, plus you get async updates instead of sync updates which is not
really desired.

correct me if I'm wrong.

Benno.