Re: [linux-usb] uhci and uninitialized usb controller

Johannes Erdfelt (jerdfelt@sventech.com)
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 14:05:28 -0500

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999, Davide Rossetti <davide.rossetti@roma1.infn.it> wrote:
> hi,
> just to be silly:
> on my bi-processor PII, ASUS board, in case I disable IRQ assigning in
> BIOS (it was so to prevent SCSI and USB from sharing the IRQ), I get
> (Linux 2.3.28):
> a) SMP kernel: EBUSY at insmod time as in uhci.c
> retval = -EBUSY;
> if (request_irq(irq, uhci_interrupt, SA_SHIRQ, "uhci", uhci) == 0) {
>
> doesn't check uhci_interrupt.

Not assigning an IRQ isn't really a problem the UHCI driver can deal
with. We can give a slightly more verbose error, but other than that
I dunno what else we can do.

Why do you not want to share IRQ's for? It's a perfectly fine thing to
do (I do it at home)

> b) UP kernel: seems someone (the pci stuff in the kernel ?) activates
> and IRQ-assigns the USB interface anyway.
>
> my setup, with USB IRQ activated in the BIOS:
> 00:04.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
> Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Step
> ping- SERR- FastB2B-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 32 set
> Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 9
> Region 4: I/O ports at d400

I assume UP works fine, right?

It's more likely differences between the IO-APIC and not using it than
the PCI code.

JE