Re: setting up serial console

Valentin Podlovchenko (valya@comstar.ru)
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 08:51:21 +0300

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 06:37:25PM +0530, Raju K V wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am trying to get my serial console to work so that the next time my
> machine has an Oops. Buti, t doesn't seem to be working properly. I read
> serial-console.txt and did the foll:
>
> cd /dev
> rm -f console tty0
> mknod -m 622 console c 5 1
> mknod -m 622 tty0 c 4 0
>
> I also added the console entries in /etc/lilo.conf
> cat /etc/lilo.conf
> boot=/dev/sda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13
> label=linux
> append="console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0"
> root=/dev/sdb5
> read-only
>
> and ran lilo.
>
> Since I dont have another linux machine, I connected a nullmodem from
> COM2 of machine running WinNT to COM1 of my linux machine. On the NT
> machine I ran hyperterminal and started 'capture text'
>
> I also removed /etc/ioctl.save and reboot the machine.
> On reboot, most of the messages appeared on the NT machine but some
> messages like fsck output and 'starting sendmail' etc did not appear.
> Any reason as to why they do not appear?
>
> Also when I do
> insmod driver.o
> the system panices due to some problem in driver.o. The panic messages
> appear on the console but not on the serial console. Any reason?
>
> Also when I write something to /dev/console it appears on the console
> but not on the serial console. For writing to serial console I will have
> to specifically write to /dev/ttyS0.
>
> Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?
> Please get back to me for more info.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Raju

Try to add into your /etc/inittab:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
7:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty ttyS0 <--- This line

--
 Podlovchenko Valentin,                        E-mail: <valya@comstar.ru>
 Comstar Telecommunications                    Tel.: +7 (095) 232-1180