Re: 2.3.25 and asm

Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 09:10:30 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> As of 2.3.24 or so, ISA drivers which do not properly ioremap, OR do not
> properly use the new isa_{read,write}[bwl] routines, will emit a warning
> to klog each time an improper use is made.

I see. I expect parport_pc is guilty then of that..

> Since it was the last line in his included 'dmesg' output, I am guessing
> that lp is being loaded as a module. When I do a 'modprobe lp' on my
> system, parport*.o are not pulled in as dependencies.

At least 'parport' should, or else you'd get unresolved symbols. It's
true that parport_pc won't necessarily get pulled in though.

Due to the parport_register_driver mechanism, parport_enumerate (to step
through the list of ports) isn't really required any more. I've left it
in for compatibility, and also left the parport_lowlevel business in for
now.

The idea is that /etc/modules.conf has a post-install for parport to pull
in the low-level driver. This should be in Documentation/parport.txt if
it isn't already.

> modprobe parport_pc
> modprobe lp
>
> as the last line of my RH6.0 /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.local, it fails. But

In what way does it fail?

Tim.
*/