Re: Odd oops in sound_timer_init [k7, gcc2.7.2.3, sscape]

Simon Huggins (huggie@earth.li)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:54:00 +0000

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 11:10:04PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I just got a k7 (500, 128Mb RAM) and am having problems with 2.2.12 and
> > my Ensoniq Soundscape.
> Ok

BTW, I didn't see these problems with the card in my P166 also running
2.2.12 (though that was a compltely different kernel config, it was the
same wrt sound).

> > It seems to oops in sound_timer_init sometimes. This often seems to
> > happen when I come back to my PC (i.e. it's been powersaving, I come
> > back, try to play mp3s and it oopses).
> Thats suspicious.

> > sound_open_dma: DMA channel 0 busy or not allocated (0)
> > Unable to grab(2) DMA0 for the audio driver
> > Can't open /dev/dsp!
> It tried to use DMA 0 for some reason. THen couldnt get hold of it. That
> looks like memory corruption, probably caused by the sound load/unload.

> If you load the driver by hand is it then stable ?

I can't do anything to that module. sscape is shown by lsmod to be
"uninitialized"

I noticed a patch in 2.3.x to the sleep function in sscape.c
Would this affect it at all?

--
Simon            [ huggie@earth.li ] *\   "It's a big world out there," Tom  \**
[ http://ds.dial.pipex.com/huggie/ ] **\                   said universally.  \*