Re: How to extend struct stat?

Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:02:21 +0200

tytso@mit.edu wrote:
> It means extending the VFS layer to support the new readdir() semantics,
> but other than that, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Yes it's a trivial change. I was thinking of adding a getdirentries
call which does exactly what Glibc's does, so that the Glibc seek and
entry rewriting overhead are avoided.

> Ext2 has been storing this information since Linux 2.2, so most
> filesystems in the field have this information;

:-( No they don't. Unless you changed it very recently, mke2fs doesn't
turn on the feature bit. In fact I had to modify mke2fs to turn it on
as there's no option...

> it's just that I never found any time to add support into the VFS
> layer during the 2.3 development cycle. The main problem at this
> point is the 2.3 feature freeze.

It would be quite naughty to slip it in at this stage.

-- Jamie